Sunday, November 05, 2006


Hi everyone, my name is Anthony. Its good to meet you. I started writing this awhile back without posting it after having an argument with a friend that participated in the habit discussed below. Well, OK, that's out of the way, now lets just jump into this I guess.

Smoking. What a wild thing. Something that has been going on since before Columbus has stepped onto the Americas. There is so much history behind this little thing that ours, along with many other cultures have embraced. I have known many people myself that have smoked... friends, family, associates. All of which have made me lose respect for them in some manner. I'm not saying that I have lost relationships over this simple habit, but I have, like I said, lost some amount of respect for what these people do.

I go to the University of New Mexico, a seemingly liberal school in the state of New Mexico. I actually find it very funny that at my "liberal" school, where there are many health freak, "save the ozone," "tree hugger" people are striking up cigs left and right. That is seemingly an oxymoron, not of words, but of thoughts and actions.

Now, if I were to tell you that I do not have an issue with people that smoke, then I would be telling you a bold faced lie. I have to tell you that I have a real and serious issue with smoking. I have very good friends that have actually learned of this. Relationships that have had to be somewhat rebuilt in order to maintain them.

Let me place some information on you about myself right quick. I am a Christian, a disciple of Christ if you may. So, now you may be thinking that I am basing all of my views on that one verse that talks about that our bodies are temples and because of that we should honor ourselves with that view by not smoking, drinking, or tattooing ourselves up. well, that has something to do with it but its not really a main reason. I have seen people that are overweight quote that same verse about me wanting to get a tattoo. Here's what I really think about this whole thing...

...well, I guess the main reason that I hold my views is that I, like Bill Engvall, do not like stupid people. Basically, smoking, in my own opinion, is one of the stupidest things that you could ever do to yourself ever. well, almost the stupidest. I'm sure that there are a lot of stupid things that you can do to your body that surpass. I hope I don't need to tell you what kind of crap is going into those little white sticks that are lit outside of restaurants on a daily basis, and if you do please go to thetruth.com.

Also, and more importantly, its because of my Christian views. smoking carries with it addictive characteristics and tendencies. How can someone feed the flesh like that. I don't care if you tell me that it is just to calm you down at the end of the day, if you are resorting to that kind of stimulation in your system to ease your stress, than you have bigger issues than you think you have. turn to God in that time of need. there is a reason that Jesus is called the Prince of Peace. He wants to give you peace and joy in your life. you shouldn't have to resort to some nicotine stick or alcohol to ease your strain. Also, can you look back on your life and tell me how you started smoking. if you can honestly tell me that you were not trying to fit in than I congratulate you and ask you to tell me what other reason there could be to start. the Bible says that we should not be man pleasers and instead look to please God. And for those people that do it just to because they enjoy it...well I ask you to look to the paragraph above and notice that I just think that you are stupid.

OK, I think I'm done with this one. I hope I have not offended you but at the same time I hope that I have. quit smoking, smokers! stop being so stupid. and that goes doubly if you say that you are a Christian. if I have offended you, well then, I apologize for being so opinionated and that I have hurt your feelings

No comments: